|UDC 728.1.012(477)||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/tr.knute.2019(29)02|
PhD in Technical Sciences, Associate Professor at the Department of Project Management, Odessa Regional Institute for Public Administration, National Academy of Public Administration under the President of Ukraine
Genuezka str, 22, Odessa, 65000, Ukraine
HOUSING QUALITY INDICATORS IN UKRAINE
Background. Recently, some specialists observed numerous deviations from the building normative requirements in the Ukrainian housing construction. In the main study hypothesis it is assumed, that such deviations may be caused by the imperfection of legislative and normative framework in the field of domestic housing construction, which, accordingly, affects the results of the housing quality assessment.
The analysis of recent researches and publications showed that there were not paying enough attention to the main problem of housing quality regulation in Ukraine – to the reasons for a significant number of regulatory requirements violations in the process of construction and operation of residential buildings.
The aim of the paper is to search for an approach to the objective indicators formation of the living environment quality obtained with ISO 9000 methodology from two different sources of quality requirements – from formal expectations of stakeholders and from legislative and regulatory constraints in housing construction.
Materials and methods. Qualimetric methods, indicative approach to quality evaluation and comparison method were used in the study process.
Results. Based on the housing quality system developed by the National Agency of Affordable Homes of Great Britain, using practical building experience in Ukraine, the main conflict indicators of housing quality were selected. In this indicators values the consumers' expectations do not coincide with Ukrainian regulatory constraints. The normative values of selected conflict indicators were determined in the analysis of Ukrainian normative documents in housing construction. Some Odessa real estate agencies provided the requirements of potential housing buyers in relation to the values of selected housing quality indicators. The analysis results revealed that the value of some selected housing quality indicators defined in the domestic normative documents do not coincide with both British requirements to residential buildings and the expectations of domestic consumers of housing. This leads to an incorrect housing quality assessment results in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9000, because this standard considers quality assurance through products conformity both to regulatory requirements and consumer expectations. It is also may lead to some formal rules violations in housing construction, which developers are must do to ensure the demand for built housing in the real estate market.
Conclusion. Restriction of domestic standards in the field of housing constructionis not a result of a well-established dialogue with potential consumers, or with other professional players in the residential property market and its construction.
The results of the study indicate that the provided in domestic housing construction norms restrictions are not the result of a well-established dialogue either with potential consumers, or with other professional players in the residential real estate market and its construction, such as real estate agencies or development companies. In addition, the system of state residential sector regulation in Ukraine differs from similar regulatory systems of other European countries. In Europe the issues such as structural strength, safety of operation, etc. are rigidly fixed in norms. Other issues, such as kitchen or bathroom design solutions, are restricted not by national standards, but through local recommended best practices in the industry, similar to "CITYkeys" or "HQI".
This promotes both the greater flexibility to the latest consumers’ wishes, and understanding and compliance with these requirements by all participants in the construction and operation of housing.
The HQI Indicator is a tool to encourage compliance by all market participants with housing quality standards through the National Housing All Access Program (NAHP) and Affordable Housing Program (AHP).
Therefore, the proposed basis for the housing quality indicators formation in accordance with ISO 9000 should be the Ukrainian consumers requirements, compared with European recommendations in housing construction. The domestic housing regulation system needs its immediate improvement. The direction for further research may be chosen to develop a based on the indicative approach method for assessing the quality of the urban environment as a whole.
Keywords: housing quality assessment, indicative approach, system of housing quality indicators, consumer demands analysis.
- Robin, M., Matheau-Police, A., & Couty, C. (2007). Development of a scale of perceived environmental annoyances in urban settings. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 27 (1), 55-68. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2006.09.005 [in English].
- Wright, P. A., & Kloos, B. (2007). Housing environment and mental health outcomes: A levels of analysis perspective. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 27 (1), 79-89. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2006.12.001 [in English].
- Hadavi, S., Kaplan, R., & Hunter, M. C. R. (2015). Environmental affordances: A practical approach for design of nearby outdoor settings in urban residential areas. Landscape and Urban Planning, 134, 19-32. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2014.10.001 [in English].
- Wilkie, S., & Stavridou, A. (2013). Influence of Environmental Preference and Environment Type Congruence оn Judgments оf Restoration Potential. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 12, 163-170. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2013.01.004 [in English].
- Quality management systems – Fundamentals and vocabulary. ISO 9000:2015. URL: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:9000:ed-4:v1:ru [in English].
- Bonaiuto, M., Fornara, F., Ariccio, S., Cancellieri, U. G., & Rahimi, L. (2014). Perceived Residential Environment Quality Indicators (PREQIs) Relevance for UN-HABITAT City Prosperity Index (CPI). Habitat International, 45, 53-63. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2014.06.015 [in English].
- Caffaro, F., Galati, D., & Roccato, M. (2016). Development and Validation of the Perception of Housing Quality Scale (PHQS). Testing, Psychometrics, Methodology in Applied Psychology, 23 (1), 37-51 [in English].
- Indicators of Sustainable Development: Framework and Methodology. (1996). NY: United Nations [in English].
- Bosch, P., Jongeneel, S., Rovers, V., Neumann, H. M., Airaksinen, M., & Huovila, A. Smart City KPIs and Related Methodology. URL: http://nws.eurocities.eu/MediaShell/media/D1.4-CITYkeys_D14_Smart_City_KPIs_Final_20160201.pdf [in English].
- McCrea, R., Shyy, T.-K., & Stimson, R. (2006). What is the Strength of the Link between Objective and Subjective Indicators of Urban Quality of Life? Applied Research in Quality of Life, 1, 79-96. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11482-006-9002-2 [in English].
- Generalov, V. P., & Generalova, E. M. (2016). Vyjavlenie otlichitel'nyh osobennostej ponjatij "komfort prozhivanija" i "komfortnaja zhilaja sreda" [Identification of distinctive features of the concepts of "comfort of living" and "comfortable living environment"]. Vestnik Samarskogo gosudarstvennogo arhitekturno-stroitel'nogo universiteta. Gradostroitel'stvo i arhitektura, 2 (23), 85-90 [in Russian].
- Devlikamova, A. S., & Mineev, S. V. (2018). Sistema povyshenija kachestva zhiloj sredy [The system of quality improvement of the living environment]. Molodoj uchenyj, 18, 61-65 [in Russian].
- Dement'eva, A. V., Domozhilov, V. Ju. (2017). Tehniko-jekonomicheskie kriterii ocenki kachestva gorodskoj sredy pri renovacii zhiloj zastrojki [Technical and economic criteria for assessing the quality of the urban environment during the renovation of residential buildings]. Innovacionnaja jekonomika: perspektivy razvitija i sovershenstvovanija, 5 (23), 22-26 [in Russian].
- Doronina, Ju. S. (2014). Ocenka kachestva zhiloj sredy territorij goroda Krasnjarska [Assessment of the quality of the living environment of the territories of the city of Krasnoiarsk]. Molodezh' i nauka – Youth and science: a collection of materials of the scientific and technical conference of students, graduate students and young scientists with international participation. Krasnojarsk: Sibirskij federal'nyj universitet. URL: http://conf.sfu-kras.ru/sites/mn2014/pdf/d03/s02/s02_002.pdf [in Russian].
- Karaseva, L., Pylaev, A., Pylaeva, A., & Doljatovskij, V. (2019). Kachestvo zhilyh zdanij [Quality of residential buildings]. FGAOUVO "Juzhnyj Federal'nyj Universitet" [in Russian].
- Saenko, I. A. (2016). Razrabotka metodologicheskogo podhoda k upravleniju zhilishhnymstroitel'stvom na osnove differenciacii ob#ektov zhiloj nedvizhimosti po urovnju komfortnosti [Development of a methodological approach to housing management based on the differentiation of residential real estate in terms of comfort level]. Nedvizhimost': jekonomika, upravlenie, 3, 29-33 [in Russian].
- Chehovskih, T. V. (2015). Kompleksnaja ocenka parametrov komfortnosti sovremennogo gorodskogo zhil'ja na primere g. Samary [Comprehensive assessment of the comfort parameters of modern urban housing on the example of Samara]. Tradicii i innovacii v stroitel'stve i arhitekture. Arhitektura i dizajn. Samara: Samarskij gosudarstvennyj arhitekturno-stroitel'nyj universitet [in Russian].
- Golova DABI: Navit' skasuvannja dozvolu ne je garantijeju, shho na majdanchyku ne tryvatyme budivnyctvo [Head of SABI: Even the cancellation of a permit is not a guarantee that construction will not be continued on the ground]. URL: https://dabi.gov.ua/golova-dabi-navit-skasuvannya-dozvolu-ne-ye-garantiyeyu-shho-na-majdanchyku-ne-tryvatyme-budivnytstvo-interv-yu-mind-ua [in Ukrainian].
- 721 Housing Quality Indicators (HQI) Form. Version 4. (2008). The National Affordable Homes Agency. Housing Corporation, UK. URL: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/366634/721_hqi_form_4_apr_08_update_20080820153028.pdf [inEnglish].
- Planuvannja i zabudova terytorij [Planning and building of territories]. DBN B.2.2-12:2018. URL: http://dipromisto.gov.ua/files/NMD/DBN_B.2.2-12_2018.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Sporudy transportu. Avtostojanky i garazhi dlja legkovyh avtomobiliv [Constructions of transport. Parking lots and garages for cars]. DBN V.2.3-15:2007. URL: http://dbn.co.ua/load/normativy/dbn/1-1-0-368 [in Ukrainian].
- Budivli ta sporudy. Zhytlovi budynky. Osnovni polozhennja [Buildings and structures. Residential buildings. Substantive provisions]. DBN V.2.2-15-2005. URL: https://kga.gov.ua/files/doc/normy-derjavy/dbn/Budynky-i-sporudy-ZhYTLOVI-BUDYNKY-OSNOVNI-POLOZhENNJa-DBN-V22-15-2005.pdf [inUkrainian].
- Lifetime Homes Design Guide (EP 100). (2011). Habinteg Housing Association. IHS BRE Press, London [in English].