FREE FULL TEXT (PDF)
|UDC 339.13:637.18||DOI: https://doi.org/10.31617/tr.knute.2019(31)04|
Doctor of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor, Professor
at the Department of Commodity Science, Safety and Quality Management,
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
Postgraduate student at the Department of Commodity Science, Safety and Quality Management, Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kyoto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
THE MARKET OF ANALOGUES OF DAIRY PRODUCTS
WITH VEGETABLE ORIGIN: WORLD TRENDS
Background. Balanced nutrition is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. Today there is a growing trend in the world to use products of plant origin instead of animals. However, the domestic market is not sufficiently filled with products of plant origin, and the available assortment is mainly of foreign production. There is a need to meet the demand of consumers in food products from vegetable raw materials of domestic origin, so the study of the world market of this product group is relevant.
The aim of the work is to analyse the dynamics and trends of the world market of plant analogues of milk in Ukraine and the world.
Materials and methods. Methods of statistical and system analysis, generalization,comparison, etc. were used. The official statistical reporting of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine and the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, data from international organizations, scientific literature, internet resources were used as a research information base.
Results. Today, the world market for food products of plant origin is rapidly developing. Almost all over the world, consumers who follow the principles of healthy nutrition prefer mainly vegetable substitutes for milk. According to the forecasts of analytical companies in the USA, in 25 years the share of plant products will outweigh the animal by 20 %.
Plant analogues of milk from soybean, almonds, rice and coconut are the most common in Ukraine, drinks from quinoa, sesame and spelt are also found. Today imported milk substitutes occupy a larger share in the domestic market. The only Ukrainian company producing plant-based milk analogues is the Lustdorf company.
The highest level of consumption of herbal beverages are noted in the US and Canada. The assortment of plant analogues of dairy products is not only drinks, but also food products: yoghurts, puddings, ice cream etc. However, the share of beverages is slightly higher, in 2017 this segment occupied about 58 % of the world market, and the share of dairy analogues was 42 %. However, beverages are mostly presented in Ukraine, only yoghurts and puddings based on soy milk of Alpro company are presented from the food products.
Currently, plant-based milk accounts for 15 % of the total milk market; consumer demand for soy milk has decreased slightly, but sales of other plant-based milk substitutes continue to increase. Producers of alternative products are expanding their assortment of chilled and frozen food products.
Conclusion. The market for plant-based products is in a state of rapid development.The analogues of milk and dairy products, which have already been distinguished into a full product category in the developed countries of the world, are especially gaining popularity.
Assortment of such products is quite wide and is represented by drinks, yoghurts, ice cream, puddings, cheese etc.
Ukraine also has a tendency to increase consumer demand for plant-basedmilk analogues, but this food industry has not yet gained popularity with consumers. That is why there are potential opportunities for further development and introduction of new products. In particular, it is promising to develop and study the nutritional properties of plant-based milk analogues from the seeds of fenugreek.
Keywords: plant-based milk analogues, market, assortment, milk substitutes, alternative milk, alternative dairy products, consumer.
- V Ukrai'ni dva mil'jony vegetarianciv, – opytuvannja [There are two million vegetarians in Ukraine, poll]. Retrieved from https://zik.ua/news/2017/10/23/v_ukraini_dva_milyony_vegetariantsiv__opytuvannya_1191465 [in Ukrainian].
- Tjuha, I. V., & Stecenko, O. D. (2017). Stan ta tendencii' rozvytku vitchyznjanogo rynku moloka ta molochnyh produktiv [State and trends of development of the domestic market of milk and dairy products]. Efektyvna ekonomika – Effective economy, 3. Retrieved from http://www.m.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&j=efektyvna-ekonomika&s=ua&z=5427 [in Ukrainian].
- Karpij, O. P., Htej, N. I., & Shul', M. B. Harakterystyka rynku molochnoi' produkcii' Ukrai'ny [Characteristics of the dairy market in Ukraine]. Retrieved from http://ena.lp.edu.ua:8080/bitstream/ntb/28952/1/060_101_102.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Gavaza, Je. V. (2015). Svitovyj rynok moloka i molokoproduktiv: tendencii' ta perspektyvy dlja Ukrai'ny [The world milk and dairy market: trends and prospects for Ukraine]. Ekonomika APK – AIC economy, 7, 106-113 [in Ukrainian].
- Il'chuk, M. M. (2013). Adaptacija vyrobnykiv moloka v Ukrai'ni do jevropejs'kyh vymog [Adaptation of milk producers in Ukraine to European requirements]. Bioresursy i pryrodokorystuvannja. (Vol. 5). (N 5/6), (pp. 129-137) [in Ukrainian].
- Fedulova, I. (2018). Rynok molochnoi' produkcii' Ukrai'ny: mozhlyvosti ta zagrozy [Ukraine's dairy market: opportunities and threats]. Tovary i rynky – Commodities and markets, 1, 15-28 [in Ukrainian].
- Vlasenko, I. G. (2013). Stan svitovogo rynku moloka i molochnoi' produkcii' ta osoblyvosti jogo formuvannja v Ukrai'ni [State of the world market of milk and dairy products and peculiarities of its formation in Ukraine]. Innovacijna ekonomika – Innovative economy, 1, 38-41. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/inek_2013_1_12 [in Ukrainian].
- About the International Year of Pulses. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/pulses-2016/about/en [in English].
- Power to the Plants. Retrieved from https://www.mintel.com/blog/food-market-news/ 2017-global-food-drink-trends-how-did-we-do-12 [in English].
- Schmidt, S. Infographic on Milk & Dairy Alternatives: Consumer Trends. Retrieved from https://blog.marketresearch.com/infographic-milk-and-dairy-alternatives-consumer-trends [in English].
- Consumer insights. July 2018. Retrieved from https://media.ahdb.org.uk/media/Default/ Consumer%20and%20Retail%20Insight%20Images/ PDF%20articles/ConsumerInsights%20WEB_1653_180725.pdf [in English].
- Vanga, S. K., & Raghavan, V. How well do plant based alternatives fare nutritionally compared to cow’s milk? Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5756203 [in English].
- Sethi, S., Tyagi, S. K., & Anurag, R. K. Plant-based milk alternatives an emerging segment of functional beverages: a review. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5069255 [in English].
- Ukrai'ns'ka klasyfikacija tovariv zovnishn'oekonomichnoi' dijal'nosti [Ukrainian classification of foreign economic activity goods]. Retrieved from https://www.qdpro.com.ua/uktzed [in Ukrainian].
- Dairy Alternatives Market: Veganism Will Remain a Significant Impact Factor Fueling the Demand for Non-dairy Products: Global Industry Analysis Opportunity Assessment (2019–2029). Retrieved from https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/dairy-alternatives-market [in English].
- Kak razvivaetsja rynok rastitel'nyh analogov moloka? [How is the market for herbal milk analogues developing?] Retrieved from https://milknews.ru/longridy/2018/05/03/rastitelniye-analogi-moloka.html [in Russian].
- Global Plant Milk Market. Retrieved from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-plant-milk-market-to-top-us-16-billion-in-2018--dairy-alternative-drinks-are-booming-says-innova-market-insights-300472693.html [in English].
- Dairy Alternatives Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Soy Milk, Almond Milk, Rice Milk), By Formulation (Plain, Flavored), By Application (Food, Beverages), And Segment Forecasts, 2019–2025. Retrieved from https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/dairy-alternatives-market [in English].
- Plant-based Meat, Eggs, and Dairy. State of the Industry Report. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/nusik/Downloads/SOI-Report-Plant-Based.pdf [in English].
- Impossible Foods – investicija v analog Beyond Meat [Impossible Foods is an investment in analogue Beyond Meat]. Retrieved from https://media.unitedtraders.com/posts/ 22565-impossible-foods--investiciya-v-analog-beyond-meat [in Russian].
- Biznes-plan proektu vyrobnyctva roslynnogo moloka [Business plan for a plant milk production project]. Retrieved from https://pro-consulting.ua/ua/biznes-plan/ biznes-plan-proekta-proizvodstva-rastitelnogo-moloka [in Ukrainian].
- Koly ne potribna korova: jak zarobyty na vyrobnyctvi roslynnogo moloka [When a cow is not needed: how to make money on vegetable milk production]. Retrieved from https://agroreview.com/news/koly-ne-potribna-korova-yak-zarobyty-na-vyrobnyctvi-roslynnoho-moloka [in Ukrainian].
- 2018 U. S. Retail Sales Data for Plant-Based Foods. Retrieved from https://plantbasedfoods.org/consumer-access/ nielsen-data-release-2018 [in English].